Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Grand Island, NE





We learned where the name Grand Island came from. It is named after "La Grande Isle" named by the fur traders for the Island in the Platte River. We also learned about twisters and the sand hill cranes migration. There was an "anticyclonic" tornado in 1980 that repeatedly tore through the town. What a scary story! The sand hill cranes are amazing as they fill the sky! Mrs. Graen actually got to share her Grand Island story dealing with the sandhill cranes! It was wonderful!

Grand Island is known for agriculture! Beef and beans are the name of the game.

Grand Island is a city in Hall County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 42,940 in the 2000 census and had grown to 44,632 by 2006. It is the county seat of Hall County. Grand Island is home to the Nebraska Law Enforcement Training Center (NLETC) which is the sole agency responsible for training law enforcement officers throughout the state.

Journal:

Kory and I went biking. It was fum. We saw a squirrels fighting over a nut. Today I biked 6 miles it was fum.

Yesterday I was in the hospital because Kory and I thought the squirrels were playing but they were fighting. So that is why I was in the hospital.

(21)

Today I saw the sand hill cranes migrate. The sky went black. I felt like my eyes were taped shut. When it cleared I was sooooo happy!

(20)

When I heard about "The Night of the Twisters," I felt so bad for the people who either got hurt or injured because I know how it feels because my dad has had a concussion and my brother has had a sprained ankle. Both things happened at the same time. So when I heard about the night of the twisters I did feel bad for the people.

(2)

Sam O and I went to go see the state flower today. We picked one and the police came on us so we put it down and then we ran. We got to my tent and police passed my tent. I will remember my golden rod.

(24)